Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Google OS

Google to develop new OS?

OK, for a long time people have been talking about the GOS. So what? OS in my opinion are so old. Now, if Google, Apple, MSFT or SUN just would stop and think about this for a moment. It’s not about the OS any more people, Apple is now running on Intel and many have figured out a way to run WIN OS on the MAC.
I remember the time when I was in college in 1998 (graduating) and I was thinking about the great future of computer. Than it came to me. Why not just have a browser and run the apps in it. Yes, this was how I saw Web 2.0 in 1998. I did a lot of research and in ’99 a told my friend and mentor Doug Engmann about it (who has just sold his company to the Dutch ABN AMRO bank for $100M). Doug liked the idea and let me run with it. Soon I realized that the technology was already there and was not that expensive to buy and operate. Sun Micro Systems had developed their SUN Rays terminals, which allowed company to run Star Office over the net securely w/o the need of expensive PC. You simple run the apps in a server where the files are kept and backed up all the time. A smart card was used to gain access to your files, sessions and web access.
So, even MSFT had their solution at the time as well, I put my cards on SUN. I wrote a small biz plan and than I email Scott McNealy. A few days later I got an email back asking me to go to SUN and make a presentation about my grand idea. So, only a few months fresh from college I put on a suite got my PPT papers and the biz plan to drove to the SUN campus.
Wow, it was so cool, clean, and full of energy at SUN.
My idea was great, setup a service for apartment and office buildings and provide internet terminals with internet services as well as business applications for a small monthly fee.
I met with the GM of the SUN desktop and sun ray terminal division Gene Banman. A tall guys (like me) full of energy himself.
I thought that if I could just get 5 min of his time, that will be great. So, I sat down next to him and I showed him my paper. (I may have emailed them something as well, but I don’t think so) After a few minutes of chatting, Gene stood up and went to the white board, then he started to drew diagrams of their current systems and I joined him, trying to make my additions. The 5 min went by and than another 5 and than another and another, after 50 min later. Gene thanked me and told me that he will email me later.
I was so impressed by the meeting, but I also was very skeptical too. What if Sun just runs with my idea and do it themselves? I thought.
Well, a week or so later, Gene emailed me and asked me and asked me if I would consider and investment from him and other SUN executives. Wow, this was just what I wanted.
……………………………………………..
Later, I will skip the boring details, after we figured out that the time was not right yet for our grand idea :
- Terminals were too expansive
- The internet was too expensive
- Internet Connectivity (wires or wireless) was way too expensive
- People and companies did not understand what software as we service was.
So, we WiredResidence.com did not make it.
Any way, the reason I wrote this who into, was to show you, that now the moment for a similar web based OS is finally here.
Google and SUN or MSFT and Yahoo or AOL, Apple or Nokia could easily make this happen today (with the help of SBC or Verizon) The technology is here and the time is now. All you need is a small OS, fast internet, lots of storage and a CDN app system on the web.
So, would they do it? I think someone will. MSFT Office Live is a clear indicator of where MSFT wants to be. Google’s rumors of GOS and their partnership with SUN or the work of Yahoo or AOL in their labs (I can’t tell you all the details) also show their intend to dominate or be a big player in the on-demand services space of the future. Apple is half way there with .Mac and iWork. Steve is cooking the big Web 3.0 right now with content, service and great boxes.

I hope that Blogtronix will take its place of the new web 2.0 generation of service and 13 years after I first started to dream about web on-demand (this is a whole other KPCB story, so stay put for that post) now I will be able to finally do it right.

Web 3.0 is coming, are you ready? (yes 3.0 ;) )




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home